View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Freespool

quick Malibu report

Just recently recovered from a bad slice to the foot at Tourmaline and anxious to get the kayak back out there, I finally launched up in Malibu for the first time this past weekend. That area has some really beautiful water, kelp beds, and reefs. I will definitely be back. Unfortunately, not much catching. There were a few other kayak fishermen around and it seemed everyone was doing about the same, a few bass and that's it. There was bait EVERYWHERE! Both days I went out, I just found some kelp, dropped the sabiki and had all the bait I could use in a few minutes. There were lots of small anchovies around but the biters were mostly large smelt. Dragged a few of them around on the bottom, tossed plastics and Crocs, I even got bored and tossed out some sand crabs from the beach for a guitarfish, and that was it. I couldn't help but think where are the predators? Even the pelicans were laying around looking stuffed and not working too hard to eat. I wonder if there is such a thing as too much bait? Oh well, beautiful area to paddle around in and a great time back out on the water.
Freespool is offline   Reply With Quote