Thread: solo skiff
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #31
Baja_Traveler

That all depends - if I go the route where I load it in the bed of the truck with a hitch extender, I'll leave it in place. If I decide to go up on the racks with one of those pivot loaders, the outboard will go in the bed of the truck. I'm still debating back and forth on it, but tending towards up on the rack.
I just feel its safer for the boat, not hanging out there for someone to run into, and you know how when you pass through the Sentri booth you have to go through those super tight turns that prevent gate crashing? Reducing overall truck length is an advantage - heck, I feel like I can barely make those turns as it is.

The transducer question has also crossed my mind. I thought it would be awesome for them to include a "Lowrance Ready" option like Hobie has. But that would involve them building a new roto mold - not an inexpensive undertaking. I see that people have mounted fishfinders with the cabling passing through a watertight fitting in the forward bulkhead, but I don't see detail on the actual transducer mount. Since these boats are first rotomolded just like our kayaks, and then given a second pass with a foaming compound (creating an 1 1/2" hull) I'm not sure how well a transducer would "shoot through" that thick of material. Further research will be needed.
The cool thing is - all the expensive accessories I bought for the PA14 can simply be swapped over to the Solo, all I would have to duplicate are the transducer and rod holder mounts.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote