View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
ful-rac
Emperor

Why do you do it?

It's been slow in our neck of the woods here lately...fish let alone bites have been very few and far between. Who knows why..? Time of year, El Nino, El Chapo, La Nina, Wind, swell, water temp, moon cycle, current, visibility, lack of talent...? We always try to explain why we are not catching and try to make sense of it.

I was out fishing this weekend, and I got a call from my brother while I was out fishing and, he asked me in a condescending tone..."what are you out fishing again? Did you catch anything? Why do you keep on going?" I tried to answer him but the answers that I was coming up with didn't really seem to make much sense...to tell you the truth I never really asked myself that question of WHY?

Curious as to the reasons why we continue to wake up early in the morning, spend time energy and effort on preparing to go fishing and all kinds of money on fuel, food, tackle, parking, bait, braving sketchy conditions only to get cold and wet, ruining our vehicles, getting stuck in the sand, worrying about having to take a shit while out on the water, wearing out our bodies from all that carrying and lifting...all to catch nothing...over and over and over.

Here's a couple of answers I came up with:
A: I love to fish (when catching isn't good I don't love it)
A: I fish for the fish (well if that was true we would have all quit by now)
A: I fish for fun (when the gett'n isn't good it's the opposite of fun)
A: A bad day fishing is better than a good day working (BULLSHIT!)
A: I fish to get away (there's plenty of other cheaper things that you could do to get away)

I asked the question to the boys...and they couldn't give me a valid answer either. So I thought it would be fun to ask the quesition here...

So why do you continue to torture yourself by going fishing and catching nothing...?

Seriously...I'm looking forward to going fishing again this weekend!
To tell you the truth...the only thing that makes sense is Mental illness.