View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #1
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Thresher Shark Questions

I would like to know what the general opinions are amongst BWE members and kayak fishermen about catching thresher sharks.

1. Do they taste good?

2. Is this a common local fish, or are they part of the spectacular fishing conditions we've been enjoying for the past few years?

3. How long does it take our local species to grow into the 150-200 pound range?

4. Is it possible to sell the fins locally for shark fin soup?

5. Does anyone process the skin into leather?

I would appreciate hearing the opinions of others about catching this fish for their dinner table.

I also want to respect the sanctity of nature and I want to understand the sustainability of our fisheries, and of rebuilding the magnificent sea life ecology that once existed here.

According to Wikipedia, thresher sharks are "highly vulnerable to over-fishing" because their fecundity is naturally low (ability to reproduce.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thresher_shark

Gestation is 9 months, and usually results in 2-4 pups. West Coast thresher sharks live up to 50 years.

Eastern Central Pacific (That's us)
Reported landings in the drift gillnet fishery for this species that developed off the west coast of the USA in the late 1970s, collapsed from a peak of 1,089.5 t in 1982 to less than 300 t by the late 1980s (decline of ~70%). This fishery was effectively eliminated by restrictions on the use of gill nets by 1990, and the population began to slowly recover to just below 50% of the initial subpopulation size. The Common Thresher Shark is still caught as bycatch or as a secondary target, although to a far lesser extent, of the swordfish gillnet fishery. It is clear that the species depends on adequate management measures, and would otherwise be at risk of overfishing. All this considered, the species is assessed as Near Threatened in this region based on significant population declines, which are now managed in US waters.
http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/39339/0

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 05-06-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote