View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Mike scales

Fly fishing. Corvina action

So yesterday I decided to blow the dust off my Kayak and tie some new flies to test out in the bay today. I decided to make some variations of a ghost shrimp type pattern. I figure that's what a lot of people use, so my aim was to "match the hatch" as they say. haha... I had no high hopes or great expectations with these flies, they didn't come out great but that's ok, I'm still a beginner.

I hit the water at around 6:30am and proceeded to head to a few spots I thought might be holding some fish. I managed to catch several Spotted Bass here and there in the early hours, then it slowed down. Around 12pm I decide to call it a quits until suddenly, I notice a large splash out the corner of my eye. I stood up immediately and managed to make one fast but accurate cast right at the splash zone. Couple strips of the line and BAMMM!!!! Something nice detonates on my fly! My line takes off and the reel is screaming. After about 5 min, I have color.
A nice chunky Corvina! After a few pics and taking the time to resuscitate the fish until it was ready to go, I drop anchor and proceed to cast and strip the area. Glad I did! The Corvina wanted to play and I managed to catch two more. These guys were WELL fed and a blast on the fly! Very violent take and powerful fish. It reminded me of the Orange Mouth Corvina I caught last October in Gonzaga Bay. Not sure if these are the same variation of species, but to me they looked very much alike. For any other fly fisherman out there looking to get their fly fishing fix, I highly recommend getting out there! Tight lines!

PS: next stop, Yellowtail La jolla. The reports look GOOD!

Last edited by Mike scales; 03-31-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Mike scales is offline   Reply With Quote