View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
habanero

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
Adding to the action lately, the occasional Grey Whale will keep you on your toes. Cool from shore or while cruising on the skiff, but when inches above the water...another story. Amazing how small one feels in the presence of Gods' creation. All however many tons, spewing water to the sky like Old Faithful. Not to mention the occasional large school of five or more whales, impressive water displacement. kinda adds to the odds of an unlikely dreaded kayak dry-dock. The lottery ticket no one wants to pull. In due time it's bound to happen, though. A floating kayak experience with five unleashed reels and custom rods, no thanks! Who's going to be the first kayaker? Any volunteers?...I'll video. I can only speak for myself, but if that happened at night, I'd probably have a heart attack before I hit the water. I've been known to pull a Rabbit out of a hat, but levitating isn't my thing.
I came very close to that situation and got it on video! It wasn't a pod but one huge Grey caught me by surprise one late afternoon by my self along LJ canyon. I didn't record in time to capture the spout just twenty feet off starboard, but before I realized it, the whale swam under me. I have footage of the glassy surface around me turn to turbulence churned up from the giant tail. I guess the not so smart "National Geographic camera guy" in me won over the urge to hang on. It felt like my heart was coming up through my throat as I comprehended what just happened. I was happy I didn't have a big greasy burrito for lunch because %$#@* could have happened on the wrong side of my waders! The next time I heard any sign of the whale, it was a few hundred yards away reinforcing my feeling it had no harmful intent.
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote