View Single Post
Old 05-17-2020, 08:28 PM   #10
igotpron
Xcoastie

FF Battery question (ryobi Lithium Ion?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
There are big differences in Lithium technology. While Lithium Polymer will charge to 4.7 volts per cell and discharge at a more even rate Lithium Ion charges to 3.3 volts per cell and hold a steady level longer but will fall off rapidly without warning. LiPo drops evenly but cannot be allowed to fall below 3 volts per cell or will be ruined and cannot be recharged. Both take a dedicated charger. Both can be partially discharged and recharged without damaging them and will take over 1000 charge cycles. LiPo is highly volatile and if damaged will burn with a white hot fire, not a good thing on a boat. Probably the type of battery that was on the dive boat. I use LiPo because that is what I own but if I buy another battery for my kayak it will be LiIon.

Sooooo. Who’s got a cell phone without a lipo inside? I’m aware of the potential hazards. But the worst that happens is I flood my batteries with salt water. Which happens to be one of the safe ways to discharge the battery down before you destroy it. So worst case is I loose a couple batteries. But that’s only if my kayak floods and my waterproof box floods. And by that point. That’s probably the least of my concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote