View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Cbad Mike

My first YT on the fly line

Short story...... I hit LJ at 6am Sunday, 4/20. Right past the boundary I dropped frozen squid for nothing more than Sand Dabs. My irons weren't getting anything at all. The swells were getting to me so I decided to keep moving. I headed out further to the West where I could see a few boats. I knew that there were some YT caught out there recently, and as much as I hate paddling further than I really have to for my fish, I went. Once out there I realized that squid wasn't working at all. Grabbed a Mack on an iron and pinned it on my rod that I usually use for surface irons. I paddled and threw irons in no particular direction until I had to take a leak. So there I am, in mid stream, and my reel starts screaming. I jumped back in my seat and tightened the drag to set the hook. Once I was sure that the fish was on I preceded to put my PFD back on that I have to remove to use the scupper hole. The fight was on and full of head shakes, it lasted about 7 minutes. After one gaff hit and an easy clip, I cut its gills using garden shears. The fish bled out quickly and completely and went under the knife 24 hrs later at 27 pounds
While I'm always happy to bring home a fish, I'm an iron guy..... To me there's nothing more exciting then to feel that hit..... Anyway, right now the Mackerel is king. Get out there and get one.

Mike

PS. Sorry if my report seems blotchy. Been drinking after fishing the Carlsbad kelp today for nothing other than an involuntary stomach pump.
Attached Images