View Single Post
Old 06-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

First, let me say, you Bastige for beating my JP fish!!! :lol: j/k

My Report:

Headed out on the Islander with Brad, Andy, Dave, Brett D., and Steamroll. A couple anglers talking strategy.

Let me first say that this boat has sweet accommodations, and a first rate crew... They were quick and efficient, loading, and unloading the boats.

Wind was tough early on, so I decided to head towards shore, and look for Halibut. Dan found a nice Halibut.

The water was beautiful, I would like to dive there someday... I tried out my "waterproof" camera... Saw some wierd, greenish, brown, sea leaf, looking stuff growing under water.

Wind was rough, I found it hard to fish. I made the mistake of brining all heavy gear. Lots of guys were killing, literally, Calicos in the kelp. Brad reported Sheephead being caught. Dave Easton informed me that the Islander was going to pick us up in the next cove. Tired of fighting the wind, I went on the drift that way. SCI is a great Island, I was just enjoying the view... Ran into Iceman, who had a heartbreaker story. Dave went into the cove, but I decided to stay deep 125 ft. and work an iron. We had live squirts, so I threw one out... About 15 mins into my drift... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!! Put rod in gear, snap!!! Oh well, I thought, there has to be more. So, I paddle up against the wind, get into position, start a drift into 130, or 130 ft, and about 10 mins into the drift.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Rod in gear, BENDO!!!!!!!!!

Brad calls me on the VHF, I tell him to get to the following GPS corrdinates. I like to give specific directions to my friends...

N32°57.476', W118°30.898'

Later Steamroll shows up with Brett D. I took my time because I was using 20 lb fluoro, and I was uncertain about my knot, as the last one broke when the rod loaded up. Besides, I had moved to about 140 ft of water, so I took my time. About 45 minutes in the fight, Andy shows up with his video camera, and gets the last moments, before the gaff.

This thing squirted blood everywhere, all over my deck, new yellow paddle jacket, and my hands... This is when Steamroll said, "did you guys see that shark?" I say, "shut the bleep up!" Steamroll says, "NO, Iceman, do you see that shark," I turned around, sure enough, I saw a dorsal fin!!!! HOLY SH*T!! I start paddling like a madman. Brett D. says, "I am getting away from you," I beeline for the Islander, about 200 yards away. Steamroll catches up to me to tell me it was a mola mola... :lol:

The Islander provided lunch, we could see Brad on a fish, on the VHF, he confirmed the right kind. After lunch, I told Dave where I hooked up, he launched, Steamroll just behind him. I finally get my act together, and head out. I run into Nate, he says he, and Dave both got bit, and busted off. I drift through what is called "Chris' Pass" ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! Bendo!!! Fish on again, feels about same 25# class. Fought it for 15 mins, before it kelped me badly. When I snapped my line, it was only about 10 ft deep. I got about 10 mins of video of the fight.

Worked along the shoreline, the water was so clear you could see bottom, sometimes a little unsettling, wouldnt want to see anything too big swim under me. Ran into Litup-1 who reported his second Halibut for the day.. (i think this is the first one, before lunch)

Got to the boat around 6pm, saw Andy, talked to him as his reel ZZZZ! Bendo, but his story...

Decided to drift through, even though my arms, and body ached, this was a marathon day. Although, what is cool, is the boat parks down wind, you drift fish the whole day.

Watched the sunset, made bets who would be in last. Had a group photo, great dinner, desert, beers, then I was OUT!!!!!!

Great company, and crew, I plan on going again, next year!

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote