Thread: Patience
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #26
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
As far as drive goes, I always launch with my drive out, just what I was taught when I went out with more experienced kayakers. I find I have more immediate control of the yak with my paddle and better holeshot on speed. I always put my drive in immediately past the breakers then will use both to get me a little deeper quicker. A lesson learned from Malibu when I thought I was past the breakers and started situating gear on the kayak only to have a huge rogue wave build and break with me right in the zone. After I got to my feet and righted my kayak the dragged myself to shore, I logged it a lesson learned. I take the drive out on the way in, if something were to happen I'd hate for the kayak to get out of my hands with the drive in if the fins came loose and were down in only a foot of water. I try to be as careful as possible, partly because I don't want to get hurt but mostly because the cost of replacing broken gear draws from my "saving for a PA fund."

You will be utterly shocked at how much easier it is to launch with your drive in

Bungee
Waist deep water
Release rudder
Release fins
Find your moment
Keep straight

Fish