View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
Widgeon

LJ 7/27. First YT.

Fourth consecutive Sunday ( my only chance to fish) at LJ. The alarm went off, shortly after 4am. For the first time in a month, I actually considered going back to sleep. " No, this is the day I get my YT." I said " and the yak is already on top of the truck".
Splashed in about 5:45. Got out to the far corner where I generally make bait and begin my troll. Took a little longer than usual, but I got 5 fat greenies and a Spanish. Good to go. Rigged up one rod for iron and one for bait. I decided to try some Owner, 3/0 ringed gorillas. Fly line on a 5 ', 30# fluoro leader. Figured I'd do my usual alternating between trolling and throwing iron.

I hooked a fat greenie and began the slow troll as I rounded the corner. After about 5 minutes, the clicker started working, then stopped. I felt the line and my bait was still there. I figured it must have gotten scarred and was running from something. Oh well, carry on. A few more strokes of the paddle and it starts going off again. I grabbed the rod and started cranking. I was a little disappointed at first. Didn't feel like much. Thought maybe a big calico or bonito.
When I had about 1/3-1/2 of my line back, it was suddenly like a switch had flipped. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Pulling drag, head shaking. Fought it for a good five minutes before I saw color and knew for sure. Then I tightened up the drag a little in an effort to get it on board before it became dog food. I finally got him boat side and having zero experience with a gaff, missed about 4-5 times before I stuck him. He was nicely lip hooked.
Got him tied up and bleeding out. I trolled my way back to the corner, more or less in shock and then said F- it, I'm not greedy, I'm going home.
Back on the beach by 9am.
Attached Images

Last edited by Widgeon; 07-27-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote