View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #53
smithers

Minimizing gear

I've only been into it for a year, but after a few trips out I realized I was bringing too much gear.

I've given up on fishing two rigs same time for example.

Instead of four poles I will just bring two.

Fish finder and battery can be considered optional (at least for your next trip getting back in the saddle)

Grab some plastics or frozen squid and consider leaving the bait tank at home too next time.

With no tank and two rods tied down, flipping is not such a big deal.

My outback 11 is not terribly stable. First thing I did when it was delivered was throw it in the pool I remember sitting in it thinking how the hell could you fight a fish in this tipsy thing.

I've wiped out launching and landing plenty (I now stow my reels in dry bag and lose 20 minutes getting rigged but it saves hours of cleaning sand out of my gear)

I've never flipped otherwise, but I've come close many times, just looking over my shoulder to grab a rod or get in the bait tank. Haven't had the chance to gaff a big fish yet I can see that going terribly wrong :P

Bummer about your gear. Occasions like that you just have to look at the bright side which is that nobody was hurt. I lost my go pro couple months back in a surf launch that went bad. It was just scary enough that I didn't fret about the expensive but replaceable toy.

Get back out quick and replace the memory of that bad day otherwise you will keep dwelling on it!
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote