View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
wade

Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride..

We were somewhere around La Jolla on the edge of the canyon yesterday, when the yellowtail began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit light headed, maybe you should paddle...." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge birds all swooping and screeching and diving around the kayak, and a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?" my attorney said. Never mind, it's your turn to paddle." I tell him. No point in mentioning those birds, I thought, the poor bastard will see them soon enough. We had two bags of market squid, seventy-five candy bar greenbacks, five spools of high powered Blackwater flourocarbon, a salt shaker half full of Unibutter, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored irons, Surface-chuckers, Salas, Tadys, Hi-Tides, Sumos, Yo-yos, Knife Jigs... also a quart of pro cure, & a quart of Crown Royal, a case of Owner 2/0 Gorillas, a pint of Ballast Point YT and two dozen Big Waters Edge visors. Not that we needed all this for the trip, but once you get locked in a serious kayak fishing collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that worried me was the Kama. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of a Hamachi-kama binge. And I knew we'd get into that delicious stuff pretty soon..

wade is offline   Reply With Quote