View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
FISHIONADO

I'm no expert but this is what I do: I put on 50lb mono on the reel first and fill it just under half way. Then I use a uni-uni knot to tie on 65lb braid/spectra, not hollow, and fill the rest of the reel. There are many good techniques for the leader and they all work but my preference is to use a swivel and and short length of 20-30lb flouro leader. I like the swivel for less line twist and easy knot tying, and a short leader so that the swivel never has to go through the rod guides. I use the same set-up for both fly-lining and with a 2oz slider above the swivel. The main reason for the braid is to saw through kelp if necessary, the bonus is it lasts several seasons.

Some people will tell you that you need to have the line put on professionally so that you get the right tension, I say BS on that because the first time you let out a lot of line that goes away. You can do it completely manual by just holding the line with a rag as you wind it on or now I use a $25 line winder. I buy my braid at Squidco to support my local tackle shops. You can find a better deal on the internet but you will drive local folks out of business.

Hope you catch a monster with that new reel! Dave

Last edited by FISHIONADO; 08-01-2007 at 09:49 AM.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote