View Single Post
Old 09-06-2022, 12:04 PM   #1
ajthegirldadayala
Junior

9/2/22 Late Report Huntington Harbor

So my wife signed my permission slip and I was able to get out on Friday afternoon. Took my rig to work with me for an after work session in Huntington Harbor. Launched at Portofino Cove around 2:45 pm. Headed straight for the shoal next to the boat launch and nature preserve on the north east side of the harbor. I have had a lot of luck there. I got a couple of bumps fishing on a white/chartreuse Gulp Mantis Shrimp on the drop shot but no takers. Switched up to my "ole faithful" new penny colored Gulp Mantis Shrimp. Two cast in around 3:30 pm, and I got a hard thud and the line went slack. As I reeled in the slack into some tension the line immediately blew up and drag started peeling. I could tell it was a halibut based on the hook up and head shakes. I got it to the side of my kayak but every time it saw the boat or felt the net get close it would dive down and run. I brought my small net which made this task even more difficult. I finally got it in the net on the tail side and was able to swing the fish in to my kayak. It was clearly a keeper but I took a measurement just to be a safe and it came in at 25.25" I did not have a scale for weight but I estimate 10-12#. The fish INHALED my bait and hook so I did harvest it because it would not have survived AND it was legal. We had halibut tacos all weekend and my wife was happy I was home 3 hours sooner than expected.

Kayak:BKC-PK12
Rod: Shimano Clarus
Reel: Diawa Costal TW
Line: 20# Power Pro
Leader: 10# Ande mono
Bait: Berkley Gulp Mantis Shrimp - New Penny
Tide: High and Outgoing
Weather: 90* sunny, breezy
Attached Images

Last edited by ajthegirldadayala; 09-06-2022 at 12:22 PM.
ajthegirldadayala is offline   Reply With Quote