View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 09:36 AM   #247
AlwaysFishing

Got my Solo!

I finally had a chance to take my Solo Skiff out for a test run last Sunday. Man this thing is so much fun. Loading and unloading was tough but I think it will get easier the more I do it.
I launched out of the South Shore boat ramp in Long Beach and took it all the way to the oil platform outside of the breakwall. The water was like glass so I had a smooth ride.

Since I bought it used, I changed all the fluids, the fuel filter and spark plug.
The motor oil was nasty but the lower gear unit oil was still clean. I will probably going to change out the prop as well since there are some nicks on the blades. The gas tank and fuel line are still in good conditions.

The riggings I have done so far was putting a Railblaza stern and bow nav lights. added two Hobie 21" rails on each side. Marine Mat is on order. Still waiting for the Hobie plate to install the transducer. Still debating where to mount the Garmin EchoMap Plus 74cv, forward or to the side. Added a tiller extender but it's too long and it prevents me from making big left turns because it hits the seat. I have to swing the seat left to make room for the tiller extension so I can turn left.

Top speed with the Tohatsu 5hp was 14.7mph on smooth water.
Next project will be to copy Mark's winch and ramp set up to make loading and unloading easier on my back.

-Quang
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote