View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #5
neil travisano
Junior

Catching threshers

The post out of Redondo brought back the memory of the only thresher I hooked and got back to the dock. I was out front of DP by the kelp and had a nothing day. I was heading home and decided to troll a jig that looked like a squid about six inches long. As I pulled away from the kelp I got slammed and thought, "White Sea bass!" After a few minutes I knew I was wrong. I was not bringing the fish to the yak but he was taking me out for a little ride. I had 60 brade with 30 fluro leader. At times I could to get the rod off the side of the yak. ONE HOUR later I was still being dragged around and at times making some headway on the fish, but I was so done!. I thought I'm going to cut the line, but them I said, " Screw that!" so I pushed the level drag all the way forward and gave it my last bit of energy and he gave up! When he got to the yak I saw I had tail hooked him with only one hook of the treble on the lure! What now? A PB fired up their engine about 200 yards off and I yelled at them for help. They were a couple of guys from Hogan's Bait and Tackle and they dragged it in to DPJS for me as they were heading in for the day. Later I brought them some steaks. What did I learn? Take you time if you have the gear and don't rush them they can be mean when first hooked.
neil travisano is offline   Reply With Quote