View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #45
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
so Jim how is Keith, last I heard he was chasing swords off cat.
I haven't seen or talked to Kieth in a long while. He's posting at Allcoast again and supposedly in the process of setting up a new boat a 31 Bertram.

I look at Kieth as kind of a internet fishing dinosaur. By that I mean that there were a group of us back in the late 90s that really put a lot of effort into trying to exchange fishing info publicly online, and as a result kind of ended up with sort of a weird internet fishing celebrity status, and it effected different people different ways.

Kieth loves to fish, but also wants to be an important figure in the fishing community. I think that might have a bit to do with his new obsessions: Deep dropping for swords and trying to catch a local salmon shark. At any rate he's got the sword bug, and has been fishing them deep, trying to find a way to consistently target and catch them.

I wish him luck on that one.

No-one I know has gotten the deep drop sword thing to work here in So Cal. We just do not have the gulf stream and structure they have in Florida, or the predictable upwellings they have in Venezuela to make it work. Years ago my buddy Mike and I used to joke that the three hardest fish to catch local are Swordfish Bigeye and Opah. Since then I've got a local Bigeye and he's got an Opah but though we've baited more then twenty some between us neither of us have got a local sword.

There was a good debate about the various methods that might actually work here over at BD last winter.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/fis...ml#post2550594

Worth a read if your into swordfish, but you might want to note that no-one there claims to know of a way to consistently target them.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote