View Single Post
Old 05-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Saba Slayer

Choosing a kayak

IMHO...here are a few thought for you...
The main topics on the seminars that I've done for Hobie at the Fred Hall Shows on choosing a kayak are:
Storage...Transportation...and Launch or Type of Fishing you do...

TRANSPORTATION...
The PA is big and heavy but comfortable as hell......I love mine but if you're planning on car topping it or putting it on a rack all the time alone, you should be sure you can handle the weight and awkwardness of the load...and be sure your rack is up to the job and the weight...
So... for car topping, the Outback has the advantage...it's easy to load either upside down or rightside up with the proper racks and accessories.
I use a really light and maneuverable Malone trailer for my PA 14 and it's soooo easy to load and prep...I travel to the launch with almost everything already in the boat including rods...the Pro Anglers also travel well in the back of a pickup and it's usually not too tough a lift to get it up on the tailgate and slid it in...But with the trailer comes storage...

STORAGE...
The PA is wider and heavier that the Outback and a little bigger deal to store it...especially with a trailer.
Just think about were you'll keep them safely to be sure they stay of of the damaging UV rays of the sun...

LAUNCH & TYPE OF FISHING...
If you're primarily into surf launching and accessing tough to get to spots then the Outback is for you...but if you launch in calm areas and off of docks or ramps or even freshwater lakes maybe you'll want to take advantage of the PA's comfort, stability, and roominess...
Dragging the PA across a long stretch of sand or a rough dirt road is no fun especially if you've got a hairy surf launch after the trek...but the Outback rolls well on the Hobie wheels and is lighter and responds so much better to paddling in the surf.

Regardless of what you've gleaned from any advise, it's still only personal opinions and the best thing to do is go see Andy at OEX and try the kayaks...it's really the only way to make the final decision on what fits you and your lifestyle best...!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote