Thread: Safety First
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Dean Machine

sticky thread?

Maybe we can make one of these threads sticky (not necessarily this one) seeing as how safety is a pretty important topic. Maybe someone can start a new sticky thread with the intent of safety related discussion. Sometimes posts like this get lost in time. Many yakkers of all experience levels look at this forum and all would benefit (regardless of experience level) from stories like this and similar close calls. EVERYONE has a story. Also it would be cool to see some of the weather links and resources that are available posted on the same thread to make it easier for everyone. (Black cloud posted a few good ones)

On a somewhat side note, for many kayakers such as myself, it is sometimes difficult to interpret tides, winds, swell, etc from most of the resources available. Maybe a sticky thread would encourage those that are more experienced to shed some knowledge on the subject. I guess part of what I mean is that anyone can read what a chart says but not everyone can interpret what 20 mph winds will do to the ocean unless they have experienced it for themselves. Rather than having to go and feel it out on the water, some discussion on what conditions are safe based on someones experience level and what conditions are not would be beneficial.

Not to mention the entertainment of reading others stories in hindsight.

Happy Holidays Everyone.