View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Dan

La Jolla, Good Friday

I'm due for some show and tell, so here goes, i'm a little rusty:

Launched at 230, Just past the buoys the bait was spotty, but metered some and made a couple of greenies. Second sabiki drop caught bait, but something big wanted to eat the immobilized nuggets and the sabiki was toast. I suspect Thresher since I saw a few jumpers in area.

Anyway, bait thickened up as I moved out to the 1/2 and then it was just plugged - with birds and dogs working it all over. Tried working the outer contour of the bait for YT to see if I could get noticed or maybe they'd come up boilin. No joy there, and when the current began to really start ripping downhill, I moved back in over the kelp, rigged a mac on my Salas 6X Jr. (tail hooked of course) to try and get it to stand out of the crowd.

I tried to keep the jig right above the submerged kelp, which was pinned 20ft below the surface in 60ft. I switched baits when the greenie stopped moving the jig erratically. 20 minutes into this, the rod stacks up and I'm on. Quick look at the meter tells me: "you're fooked!" so I have two choices: lose this fish in the thickest kelp in LJ or pull on it like I had fresh 40# (which thankfully i did).

Stoked!

Thanks to Leo for the photos.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote