View Single Post
Old 04-20-2022, 02:43 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
My Salas x jr really had a wide angle on it, drift fishing off la Jolla.
Once you get around the corner in la Jolla the current really takes you and I was headed south. After fishing a few hours....in the fog the whole time, I ran across another guy and ask him if he new where he was and he said no.I said I have a compass mounted on my kayak center console and we better head east. After padding just under an hour east still can't see land and we are in 10 to 15 ft on water. I look over my shoulder to the left and see brakers. So we turn around and get in a save depth and head north finally the fog lifts and we can see the crown and hotels. If nothing else at least have a hand held compass if you kayak in the ocean and bays. You got to back up anything electronic battery powered that can fail. That app your talking about is new to me I'll have to look it up.
There's times in the ocean when you cannot tell north east south and west with out mechanical aid
Good points Mitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCantrell View Post
I use a Garmin Forerunner 235 (new model is the 245). You'd need to go to a fancier and more expensive model if you wanted something to help with navigation. I've been really happy with mine for recording my sessions though. A phone + fish finder + handheld or deck mounted compass seems like a good amount of redundancy.

Seeing your trip routes is nice Ben. I like the Forerunner 245 and ordered an unused 245 Music for $150 on Offerup. The seller discovered the battery would not hold a charge so he canceled the sale. Adding a compass to the yak is a good economical option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I use a Garmin instinct. GPS, altimeter, compass, step counter, HR. What's nice about it compared to other smart watches is that a charge will last more than a week. It has moonphase, sunrise, and sunset also. I've read there is a barometric storm alert feature. I have yet to use it yet though.
Thanks for your input John. Garmin recently came out with the Instinct 2. The instinct has most of the features of Garmin's higher-end watches but at a fraction of the cost and with much better battery life due to having a monochrome screen instead of color. I like the Instinct 2s.

It seems like Garmin has the sports monitoring and GPS aspects of the smart watches well covered, but like many of the brands, the health monitoring features lack accuracy. Still undecided, but leaning towards getting a compass and a Fitbit watch.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote