View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
Saba Slayer

Sabiki Rod

You either love it or hate it...I helped design it for AHI...so I kinda like it...!
I'm not sure if we'll have the same deal get 3 free sabikis deal down in Del Mar...I really don't think so since the Promar/AHI booth will not be down there...I'll check with the office.
You can fit up to a #4 AHI sabiki hook in it....the manfacturers all have their own exact size and they are not the same...regardless of the matching number.
OEX used to make a short cut down version of the AHI sabiki stick...I'm not sure if they still do it.
The 7' foot version is really under 7'...it was made to be just long enough to hold 4 of our sabiki hooks...so yes you need to cut off two hooks and re-tie the swivel snap for the weight. The 7' Sabiki Stick is easier on a kayak and so is 4 hooks or 4 wriggling Macks!
The 8' version holds all 6 sabiki hooks so no cut and re-tie is necessary.
I just use a torpedo sinker of various weights for the type of bait.
The build quality is good for a $50 rod...the connection in the middle of the 3 piece rod is tapered so the hooks don't get hung-up and the tip is the third generation model, designed to prevent hang-ups. Often the sabikis will hang up on the tip or get slightly stick...this is due to the sabiki losing or breaking the little dab of glow material and sliding sideways on the leader. A slight tug and release usually gets it free...but it's a sign that it's time to replace that old sabiki.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote