View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #39
Chief Gunner

I guess I thought he was using a downrigger and a spreader rig from a yak...even so dragging spoons low to the bottom is gonna catch all kinds of grass, kelp bits and all the other garbage floating in the bay. I was on the Bay with Darthfisherman Sat and from what I saw where we were at, we were the only one's who caught any fish.

I don't know where he fishes in the bay but I can tell you that I go through bait like crazy and only give plastics & lures a few seconds of play when I feel the bottom wether I'm in a yak or on a boat.... because San Diego bay is dregged out in the center for the Navy ships... which means a narrow, semi deep channel that makes for strong 3-5 knot tidal surges & currents either incoming or outgoing which ='s allot of floating bits. If he's using multiple trebble hooked spoons..Thats just an Eel Grass Salad guaranteed!

I'm not totally against trying something new. I've used the same bright colored poppers used along the gulf coast in Alabama, Florida and Missisippi for Speckled Trout out in the local Kelp beds and had days where the Calicos were just crazy about them....until I lost all the ones I brought back from Pensacola.

I'm not a total doubter but I am pessimistic about this; I have Fished from Maine to here and all the way across the Pacific & Indian Ocean to the Arabian Gulf (courtesy of the World's Finest Navy) and I learned a thing or two along the way...sometimes fish in different areas react to things they have never seen berore in absolutely unexpected ways.

I'll just say that this is just one of those thing's I'll have to see for myself to believe.

Enough of that; PEACE and Tight lines guy's