View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #13
Uncle_Tomas

Thanks Ed. I think we had like 6 guys that got bit that afternoon. Nobody could land one though. One guy fought his fish for 4+ hours before he broke off. (The crew landed one from boat though on flat fall and heavy set up).
The whole time fighting that fish I was thinking that there is no way I can land this. I honestly felt like it’s just Mother Nature messing with us.
I think I was the only one doing this trip for the first time and guys who have been doing these trips for years told me that this has never happened before and will most likely never happen again. But you never know! We actually saw them boiling on Saturday too not too far out but bunch of us were already done fishing for the day with kayaks loaded on racks. (Sucks as I took my two speed set up with me that day and kept looking for boilers all day but never saw one).
I am glad I finally had chance to feel what is like to fight big fish and I was not mad at all after we lost it. I was actually pissed at myself more when I lost YT close to my kayak as I was pulling too hard and pulled the hook. That was the fish I could have landed but did not. I have been only fishing in salt water for little over a year so there is still a ton for me to learn. Still loose more fish then I catch but I am getting better and better at it.

Anyways, the second day I was focusing on catching YT and rockfish. As I did not want to come home without fish. I got 10 rockfish pretty fast using red Shimano butterfly jig. Was able to pick up a lot of them in about 280 ft.
I was also flylining for YT but did not see any as I was waiting for them in deeper water. Little did I know that they are actually circling the island and generally are super close to shore. Well maybe next time. Also got nice sheephead - that was a nice bonus.

I have done couple of off shore trips (non kayak), but this one was for sure
the best by far. Group of people was amazing, super helpful and supportive, really liked the crew and Captain on Islander as well. Going next year for sure!

Tight lines!
Uncle_Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote