Thread: Eastern Sierras
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 06:14 AM   #18
Saba Slayer

Crawdads

It looks like everyone else has more than filled your vacation plans with some great stuff to do and see in the Eastern Sierras....so...here's a little Crawdad info.
If you can get a back copy of KayakFish Magazine for the fall issue of 2014 you'll find plenty of "how to" info in an article I wrote called "Buggin Out in the Sierras".

Gull lake was the best spot on the Loop for these little mini lobsters although June and Silver also have some spots that hold em too. At June we dropped the traps along the south side by the main road. At Gull the best spots seem to be along the trees and the campground as well as in front of the marina at the east end. We used chicken parts for bait and cans of cat food with holes punched in them as an attractant.
The traps were from Promar. I like the square and the round expanding traps the best...easy to bait-up and store. This square one is the TR-501...but the TR-502 has a little larger opening and a piece of netting attached to the opening that prevents the Crawdads from getting out of the trap.

We let the traps soak overnight and they usually have plenty of critters in them the next morning.
Feel free to contact me with anymore questions...? O
Oh yea...one more thing...the breakfasts at Silver Lake Resort are GREAT!
I believe the smokehouse in Bishop is called Meadow Farms...it's on the right side of the road as you go north out of town. Be sure to get some smoked Louisiana hot links to put in the crawdad boil.
Good Luck

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 08-19-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote