Thread: Eastern Sierras
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 03:48 AM   #1
Whizz Bang

Eastern Sierras

Hey Guys,

I have been deployed to Africa for the last 5 months, and am nearing the end of my deployment. I'll be home soon enough, and maybe even soon enough to tackle something pelagic from a yak (it would figure I miss THIS summer).
The proximity to the end of deployment always starts the daydreaming and I have settled on taking the family to the Eastern Sierras.

Why? You guys. I love the posts I have seen and am going full Clark Griswold on this one. But I need more input and guidance please!

Our info:

June Lake Loop Area but I want to show my midgets the Crystal Cavern and some giant Sequioas too if I can drive there in a sane amount of time.

October 7-whenever I'm told we have to stop.
Trip length 7-10 days
2 adults, 1x5yo. Girl, 1x3yo. Boy
Tent Camping until Sarah makes me rent something with walls and a shower.
Recreation: Trout fishing and absolutely crawfish trapping if Saba will expound on his may bug report. Also bug collecting, hiking, and observing wildlife.

Questions:

Given the age of the munchkins, and that we love privacy and trees if possible, what are the best campgrounds/campsites to aim for?

How would you structure your trip in that timeframe? Is Crystal Cavern,Sequioas, Yosemite doable? How?

Crawfish? Saba brother , which traps are best? Kayak drops or from shore? Anything else you want to share, cause I will grind this one out either way.....too much fun for the kids and I have too many relatives living on bayous in Louisiana to not try.

Where to eat in June lake when we don't want to cook?

Showers? Does my wife or filthy children get one? Where?

Weather, first 2 weeks of October, what am I likely dealing with?

Any help is hugely appreciated! There is a lot that I cannot effectively research here in the armpit of Africa. They (Big brother, NSA, Google, the IT guy down the way) perhaps assume that I am a retarded ISIS operative who believes that striking America's quiet lonely places is the perfect way to sow fear? maybe. Maybe mapquest is just saying "Fuck Off Arab, we don't have to show you shit!" Again, solid maybe. Either way, Yelp has been unhelpful. So I turn to you guys. Help please.

Tight lines.

E
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote