View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #28
Aaron&Julie

Thanks, Wade, for making my point. I'll tell you, that sounds scary enough, being bumped in the dark not knowing "what the hell".

I don't know how over-panic would be a problem. Better safe and knowledgeable, than ignorant and bait.

It's not like it's going to be a scene from "Jaws", that just because the media reports it, there's going to be 200 boats on the water, with guns and fishing rods trying to catch it/kill it. In fact, it wouldn't make any difference to kayakers fishing out there.

What if that GWS that swam under Kahouna's yak flipped him and his daughter into the water?

Can you imagine the fear of having such a predator in the water next to you, while you have to not only flip your kayak, but get your daughter (obviously first) back on board, then yourself. That would be about the biggest 2-4 minutes of terror I could imagine.

True, there's GWSs that show up occasionally at LJ, and odds are they won't be a problem to us-kayakers. Then, it only takes that one time, really. Plus, there's the free-divers, swimmers, etc to consider.

Who cares if it is over-hyped? It won't change things for our fishing conditions.