View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 08:43 PM   #229
FISH11

Tomorrow I'll see if the weather holds off a little, I'll try to film some of it at home although it won't be like when loading at the beach. At least I can show the winch set up and how I put it on the top edge of the truck bed and what the ramp looks like. If you are setting up the Solo make sure the you install some H rail or other grab bar on the right side gunnel for holding on. At the speed the Solo can move, it is real important to be able to stay on the Solo when it changes direction or to keep balance when hitting chop. It doesn't have to be the long one, unless you prefer using that as a mounting platform for rod holders. Personally I'm not fond of the Hobie H rail rod holders (mostly due to the cost of each holder and each base). I installed two 9" H rails that I bought new on EBay for like $23 each with free shipping and purchased longer stainless steel bolts for through mounting on the gunnel at Ace hardware. It works awesome for holding on. One I put on the right for holding on and the other is on the front of the hatch base. The left gunnel has my paddle mounted so it would have been in the way and on the front of the hatch base it still works for holding on and protects the live well switch from accidently getting turned off. I personally didn't want the long H rails because I wanted the gunnels to be clean and unobstructed on the front part of the cabin deck, for landing fish and ease in getting in or out of the Solo Skiff.