View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #10
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeath View Post
Good points about getting the rod tip around the kayak. While I thought this would be perfect for kayaks, it might not be perfect. It does have a good tip for jigging and hook setting. I also have several other rods that are six feet long that might work for kayak anglers.

I'm always trying to design new rods for anglers who want something better for less money.
Thanks for your opinions.
John
These look well made and hard to beat the price - quality components would run close to what you are asking.

• The point on the gimbal was made above. I would suggest staying with a tapered butt cap rather than a mushroom as on a kayak the rods are put into and pulled out of narrow rod holders, often under load when a fish is on. Don't need to be fighting to get it out of the holder.
  • I like the micro-guides, but I have not seen many in use on a kayak. Hard to say if they will stand up to the abuse of a kayak environment
  • Interesting triggers on the reel seats that have them. I would suggest offering the option of a hole drilled in the trigger with a robust split ring that will stand up to salt as a leash attach point. Not all would want this, but it is an option I have thought about but the triggers on the seats I have been getting were a bit too narrow for me to do this myself.
  • MAYBE offer one up as a raffle prize in one of the bigger tournaments - like this one http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=28873 . This will get one on display and passed around by your target market and should be tax deductible. Customizing for that tournament, especially if it is designated for the biggest halibut, gets bonus points.
  • What is the warranty?
Kudos for taking the prior input as constructive. Your site says they are my BY halibut fishermen FOR halibut fishermen. Post up some reports. That gets more credibility that having your first post being an ad to sell something. Even if they are not from a kayak, post in the appropriate forum. Let's see these things in action.

Cheers!
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote