View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
GHOSTHUNTR

The smaller irons work great in La Jolla sometimes, but you really need a lighter setup to fish them properly and get distance on your cast. 45's and 7x's have caught me many yellows in LJ. Fish the 7x when the wind and current are to much for them lighter 45's. I always throw the 45 if conditions allow. Color is the least important thing to consider, they all get bit. Some of my favorite irons have no paint at all left on them. The most important thing is how the iron swims. If you can find one that will "kick-out" every 4 or 5 handle turns, look out cause a lot of times those yellows will just follow that lure and not eat until the plug kicks-out to the side. Remember, these jigs are all hand finished and no 2 are exactly alike, learn to know the differences in shape and when you find a jig that catches try to pick additional jigs that are the same shape. When you find one that works, DO NOT LOSE IT. I use fresh forty and rarely have any problems. Good luck out there cause there is nothing in the world as fun as catching big yellows on the surface iron.
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote