View Single Post
Old 05-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #7
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew7! View Post
If the pump failed would it still make noise when it turned the switch on. Mine currently makes no noise when switched on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It depends what the problem is.
If the impeller is physically jammed/clogged, it might make a light hum or vibrate slightly. If the impeller is seized, then it might not make any noise at all, but the pump should get slightly warm to the touch after having power to it for a bit, which means it's at least getting power. If the impeller shaft is broken, it should rattle around like there was gravel in it when turned on, but may not pump water. If you have no noise at all, no warmth to the touch after having it turned on for a bit and no vibration, my assumption would be that it's not getting power.
That said, I would try looking at the wires and connections first using SoCalEDC's advice. Especially making sure the battery is good first and foremost. Then go from there. Also, don't keep power going to the pump when it's out of water for too long. If it's not already seized, then that might cause it to seize!
I'll admit, I have decades of experience dealing with different kinds of pumps working in the aquarium trade, not 100% sure if that experience applies to these livewells! Good luck getting it up and running! From what I hear about that model Hobie, it's more than likely a faulty or corroded switch.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote