View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 06:18 AM   #2
Saba Slayer

not so much...

I don't think you'll be happy trying to fish out of a Hobie Tandem...only our PA 17 (the beast) is set up for solo use...since you'll be sitting in the rear of the tandem the bow will raise up in the air and catch every bit of wind available...some guys add weight or a bait tank to the front of the yak to try and counter the effect....but it's still not a perfect ride.
The old Malibu II was a great solo tandem because it had a molded seat in the middle of the yak as well as the one on each end...a lot of yak manufacturers tried to copy the design but OK had the patent on it for many years.
While selling boats at the Fred Hall shows I tried to steer couples away from the tandem unless the wife was a fishing fanatic too...most couples are happier with their own boat...we sometimes call the tandem "the divorce boat".
LOL
Frank Santiago tried using the tandem solo and finally gave in and bought a PA...he's much more comfortable and happy now.
I'd keep the single yak for your personal fishing if you have the room...maybe store it on a pulley system in the garage and get it up and out of the way...
Good Luck...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote