View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #48
M.P.H.B.
Junior

Keeps Me Human

It satisfies a primal reward system. Its a reminant of the hunter-gatherer lifestyle that was humanities universal experience for over 90% of our existense on Earth, that only began disappearing into settled society 5000 yrs ago. That happy juice that fires through your brain when you hook up with a fish served a life or death purpose back then (and still does for the few remaining hunter-gather peoples today). Its a drug that drove our distant ancestors to endure all kinds of hardships in order to bring meat back to the village and helped ensure the continuity of the species.

Observing from a macro level, it's possible that we're a species on the cusp of it's next step in evolution. Civilization and technology are propelling us towards an existence that is so utterly alien to our hunter-gatherer brains, and at a pace that compels constant adaptation. If this rate of change and adaptation continues, then at what point will we become something all together different from homo-sapiens? That point in time might be closer than we realize.

So simply put, if someone asks me why I fish, I say that it Keeps Me Human.
M.P.H.B. is offline   Reply With Quote