Thread: Hobie Defectors
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #37
bigderel
UberMember

Regarding the back pain - my back hurt the first few times a little. Probably just getting used to the correct angles, etc...I haven't had a problem since.

As for stowing the rods (the comment that you couldn't in a Hobie)...that's just complete misinformation. In both the Adventure & Revolution I've stowed my rods & reels tons of times with no issues.

What people forget is that you still have a paddle if you own a Hobie. I used to paddle my Adventure all over the place. I used a rod leash and tossed my pedals behind my stuff in the tankwell and off I went. I'm in or around kelp all the time - you can bring the pedal drive opening plug (AKA cassette something or other) and pop it in and it's a paddle kayak.

I will admit that the tracking isn't the best while paddling. I have the Revo now and you seem to fight it a little. I just drop my rudder down (the rudder control is fairly tight) and that seems to help quite a bit.

I know of someone who went to a Hobie and then went back, but for every one of them I know a dozen more who went to the Hobie and stayed. It's not for everyone but they're pretty awesome yaks IMO.
bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote