Thread: Hobie Defectors
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #32
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Can you honestly grab your paddle and pull the mirage drive out faster than you could just make the turn with the mirage drive?

Im Just curious, dont take this like I am taking a Side. I love my Paddle yaks, the peddling just isnt for me.
I rarely take out the peddles. If I am going to make a turn, I will usually peddle because it it faster. If I am in tight quarters like making bait at the pier, I will leave the drive in, use the PAddle to turn the boat, and head on out. The peddles act as a pivot point and I can turn my 16 ft boat around on a flat plane.

I'm not taking sides either. I'll be the fist to admit that pEddling is way gayer than pAddling. In certain situations, pAddles are better than pEddles. I'm still filp- flopping of what yak I want next in the arsenal, but I know it will be a pAddle yak. I think I have an un-curable addiction to toys.

Currently, I use the hobie for several reasons.

1) I don't get out that often. When I had my pAddle yak, I found that I did not go out enough to stay in pAddle shape. After a few hours of bieng on the water, I was spent. Its nice to be able to go out for ten hours and twenty miles, and still return with energy.
2) Shoulder problems. Competitive training in swimming has left me with a tempermental left shoulder. Sometimes I have trouble lifting my arm above my head. The result was a VERY low profile paddle stroke, which was pretty ineffective for the type of fishing we do here. On the other hand, recreational basketball has left me with a bum knee, which is not hobie friendly. I really can't use either injury as a serious crutch.
3) Weather conditions. I have been turned away by weather only once. Bottom line- Peddling gives you the ability to get out in all but the toughest wind. I have never doubted my ability to make progress in wind.

While i defend Hobies because I use them, I know there is downfalls.

1) No purist aspect. But, how many of you can look at your kayaks and honestly say you are a purist? I do agree that there is something pure about gliding across the water with a paddle.
2) Peddles + Kelp = FUBAR. I dont like purposly fishing for calicos that much, so its not that big of a deal. I just stay on the edge.
3) More mechanics = More potential for failure. I have destroyed my mirage drive several times OTW. Catapalooza was the worst. I went waaaay to far south in some decenly nasty weather before POP! POP! Out of comission. I am lucky that my boat is shaped ok enough to paddle. In my old egg-shaped outback, I would have been calling the coast guard. While I probably have the worst record of mirage drive failure out there, it has never been bad enough to make me ditch the Hobies. Worst case scenario is that I have to pAddle.

To sum up, I'll say what has been said a thousand times. Go test paddle (or peddle) as many yaks (or peddle-boats) as you can. Find what works for you, and use it. My mistake last time is that I bought a yak based off of what other people said was the best, but I found that I ended up with a boat that was not the best for me.Someone got a killer deal because of that mistake. http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=2849
I have nothing but good things to say about OEX, Dana Pt Jet Ski, or Fastlane. They will all help you get the right boat, suited for what you need. But, if you do get a hobie, be prepared for the endless heckling.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote