Thread: Hobie Defectors
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #29
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm H View Post
Paddling gives you bigger guns, guys.

Seriously, I would be concerned about a tow things with peddle power-
a) I can turn my Cobra Maurader on a dime and chase off in another direction -- like when birds start crashing 400 yars behind. A hobie has to make a big circle.... and I would challenge almost any peddler to beat most padders to the spot in a sprint like that.
b) How do you pack your rods into the dry hull on a tough day landing on a Hobie? Not possible... and, if you do this enough, you will encounter a crash landing now and then.

Then there is the cost difference between the boats.

Comments?

My response-
A- Sailing rudder= Very tight turns. Plus, don't forget, we still always have a paddle. If it were easier or better to use a paddle to get somewhere or make a turn, we would use it. Fortunately, in most cases, it is more advantageous to use the paddles and rudder. I would bet that in a 400 yd turn then sprint, we would be pretty even. After that, I'd challenge you to a 6 mile sprint.

B- When we went to catalina last year I put five rods and reels
(up to 8 1/2 ft) inside my hobie. I even have a kayatank in the middle hatch. I have also done this OTW. Maybe not as easy as in a traditional yak, but still possible. I usually just leash and try not to flip.

Yes there is a price difference- A Ferrari is more expensive than a Kia.

Sure your guns may be bigger, but I have a HUGE A$$ from kicking that thing around the ocean. I'll build my guns through Unfortunately usually means I am snagged on some kelp or a lobster buoy, not on a fish.

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote