View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I am far from an expert on this subject but it appears to me that the Governor, (whom I support on many issues), is trying to play hardball with the legislature in order to get them to get off their butts and do something useful. For far too long, many of the decisions that affect all of us have been made in back rooms by politicians who have two primary priorities. First, to get elected, or re-elected. Second, to reward the special interests that help them get elected or re-elected.>>
>>
Since neither of these priorities requires them to give a rat’s ass about the wishes of the general public, we usually end up getting screwed. My guess is that the vast majority of our elected officials have little more than a passing awareness of the MLPA process because none of their fat cat supporters have vested interests.>>
>>
Without a high profile champion to fight for the best and most reasonable solution, the issue will probably end up being settled by an obscure bureaucrat who may never have set foot in the ocean. >>
>>
We are all hopeful that the new kid in Washington will reform the way our Government works so that it actually represents the People for a change. Even if he is successful, it will take a very long time for this new attitude to filter down to the State level and even longer for the petty bureaucrats to be replaced by knowledgeable people who really care about the rest of us.>>
>>
Someone earlier in this thread suggested that the time may come for those of us who will be affected by the decisions made on this issue to become "militant". Normally I am a peaceful person but I can easily imagine myself supporting and probably participating in a rebellion against any decision that takes away my access to the local fishing grounds. >>
>>
My two cents for the day.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote