View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #13
swinginFish

Aikido

Kevin,

Good on the lifeguards (LGs) for coming to us with "the problem."

Albeit poorly defined, i.e., "kayak fishermen's behavior attracts sharks," we should be back slapping LGs for finally noticing the increased shark activity in the area (which kayak fishermen keep bringing to their attention), and offering ourselves as the best group of folks to keep an eye on - and informing LG's about - increased shark activity in the area. What's happening now, unfortunately, is "killing the messenger," and our taking a argumentative position is only strengthening the accusations.

In my less-than-humble-opinion, there's absolutely no need to get defensive about killing/bleeding/stowing fish outside the preserve. This is what we do, period, and this is what we promote amongst ourselves. What needs to be emphasized is that a) there does seem to be more notice of sharks in the area, but then there are a heck of a lot more kayak fishermen eyes on the water these days. That said, the water's not only unusually warm, there's an absolute increase in the local seal population which, while hammerheads have been seen around for years, the increased sightings of GWs is far more concerning. What I'm suggesting here, amigos, is we spin this so that we a) become "deputy LGs" and help protect beach goers from sharks through our ability/willingness to help in early warning, and b) engage LGs in the fight against those who, through misguided sympathies, have protected seals over humans. Got the picture?

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote