Thread: avet sx
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #31
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
I've got 3 Avet sx's and love em. Great little reels and I've never had a problem with too little drag, but I do have to service them more frequently (when they get wet) than my other reels - salt water gets into the reel easily and rinsing afterward doesn't get it all out and the bearings start to stick. The "sealed" bearings tend to trap saltwater that gets into the reel. Fortunately, they're very easy to tear apart and put back together. Regular servicing keeps the bearings in good shape so they don't have to be replaced.
Have you ever removed the main bearings? Those are somewhat more difficult to remove then the two spool bearings. I just got back from Long Fin this afternoon and we tore my 'new' MXL apart because when in the strike mode, it is really difficult to reel (definite main bearing). We tried to get to the main bearing but just couldn't. As I said in my previous post - I love the Avets - (Actually I saw the SX that everyone was talking about today for 159.00 and bought one too). I will have to send my new MXL into Avet to have the main bearing replaced. Sucks - only used this one a couple of times.

Additionally, Avet did a test recently grease vs. no grease for drag pressure - No grease won. As far as cleaning - I was told by the Avet rep and Long Fin that if you shut the drag all the way closed, you can actually submerse the reel in warm water to clean....I was not initially comfortable doing that, but WTF? I have been doing it awhile now, and out of 7 Avets, the new MXL is the only one that has taken a big sheeeet for no reason.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote