View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
TCS

Better Lucky Than Good

I haven't been out much lately due to work, but we made it through a big milestone last week and I decided to take a couple of days off to fish. I took my daughter out on a party boat on Monday (lots of fun and a few calicos) and was able to get out on the kayak today to try for a real fish.

Paddled out at noon. Collected some big macks, they practically jumped into the bait tank. Headed around the corner with a flylined mack.

Just around the corner in 95 feet my mack got nailed. I had the reel in my hand in freespool already and just let it go. At about an eight count the fish paused for an instant and then started running again, so I engaged the reel and got the hook set.

The weird thing was that I was able to just reel this fish in for about 50 feet without any trouble, just as I had concluded this was not a yellowtail, she decided to act like one afterall and bolted.

I had my drag on the light side for 30lb flouro because that lost WSB with Josh is still seared in my memory. She took about seven runs, but then I got her on the gaff.

I've caught quite a few fish since I've been going to LJ, but I think this might have been the first where I had no coaching from the varsity, no monkey see monkey do, etc. I was pretty stoked to get this fish completely solo. Huge adrenalin rush too.

Ryan, nice to meet you out there.
Attached Images

TCS is offline   Reply With Quote