View Single Post
Old 02-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #1
JohnnyC
Junior

mono backing for braided line help!!

Hello all!

Just purchased a Diawa Lexa 300 baitcasting reel. Never used braid before, so I went online to do some research on the types of braided line that's available. I came across several threads where many "baitcaster" owners said they almost always use a mono backing on the spool before the braid. One main reason was because it prevents the braid from slipping or spinning freely on the spool. Another reason is because braid is much more expensive and using mono backing first can save a few bucks on braided line. I was also concerned when I read that braided line can dig into the spool, potentially ruining the spool. Adding a few layers of mono can prevent that from happening.

So my question is, since the Lexa series was designed to use braided line (Diawa seems to recommend it as well), does this reel need a mono backing to prevent the braid from slipping pr damaging the spool? Should I tie the braid directly to the spool and use tape to secure it? Any advice is much appreciated. I would like to do it right the first time around
JohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote