View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 04:36 PM   #16
FishinAll50
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Why not mention it in the video, or at least in the explanation of the video? A bad video does not merit the time to read his replies to other's comments. It has been my experience that cracks start out small and grow with time. I used a cracked outback for 3 months, and the crack grew maybe an inch during that time. What caused the crack? Where was the crack? So much lacking information, that otherwise might have made this video informative. In a bind, a piece of plastic bag can be jammed into a crack to arrest the leakage so the yak can be pumped out. If one carries flex tape, there is a good chance one can patch the crack, pump the water out of the kayak, and not have to burden rescue authorities. As long as the kayak is floating, there was a chance of self-rescue, especially with his buddy standing by. I guess neither had a means of bailing water -- Shame.
Hey, I'm the guy that flipped! I completely agree after reading some comments like yours that I should have done a better job explaining the situation. I was in the water for over an hour, and after putting that video together I didn't wanna make it any longer. I'll do a video soon explaining mistakes for sure. I'm not sure what caused the crack, it was pretty spontaneous and was right at the dump of a water channel to a scupper. Which meant waves over the bow were entering the hull, instead of the scupper. A plastic bag or tape is a great idea! It'll be in the bag next time, I just wasn't prepared for a crack like that to happen. The kayak hull was filled and then capsized, with 0 chance of reentry. Thank you for the feedback!
FishinAll50 is offline   Reply With Quote