View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 08:27 AM   #12
FISH11

I use a DIY set up as above using an old large jig head with the barb pinched closed a short line with swivel at the top and a snap clip at the bottom so I can change the weigh size depending on the size of the rock fish. I attach the upper swivel to any of my rod lines that have a snap clip to attach jigs or different leader normally. Holding the rock fish in my palm I put the jig head hook of the back of the gill plate going inside so the weight will pull the fish head first to the depths. Having the reel spool open and the rod in a rod holder or even under one of my legs. I put the weight in the water first and allow it to pull the fish out of my hand and down into the water. Once I think the weight has reached approx 50' or more I engage the reel and pull up fast on the rod to have the jig head come out of the gill plate and the fish is now free to head down the rest of the way down. Here is a Utube video from the Alaska Department of Fish and game showing the same basic procedure using a larger device. On a kayak I prefer the DIY hook or jig head, because it take almost no space and makes it easier to have with you at all times and utilize weights you provably already carry.