View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Beer Me
Take two

Starter Gear Recommendations

While I have the upcoming months to try and save some money for a kayak, I'd like to start acquiring gear piece by piece so I have enough to get me going when the kayak hits the water.

I will be fishing inside the wall here at Channel Islands with jaunts outside as my confidence builds. I also hope to head out to the local islands via mother ship.

I can gather up info on the kayak, but the gear is scattered and fragmented. When I look at all the pictures, videos, and guys fishing the local area, everyone has multiple fishing poles, stressing 4 pole holders for their kayaks etc. I'd like to start out with two and keep it simple. I'm looking for some recommendations for a basic startup kit, i.e., rod length, type etc. same goes for reels, do I go with narrow, wide, one or two speed, blah blah blah. I'm completely open to 2nd hand equipment, yet I believe you get what you pay for. Cosmetic appearance means nothing, I just want dependability.

Does anyone have the spare time to help and give me an idea of what you think would work best if you could do it again?

Rod(s)
Reel(s)
Tackle
Tackle box(es)

PMs are welcomed as well.

Thanks in advance
Beer Me is offline   Reply With Quote