View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
Personally, on the kayak I find it hard to load up a traditional, glass jigstick so it will really throw an iron. These rods were designed for use standing up on a boat, not sitting down. Then again, I'm admittedly no surface iron expert.

I have used my Daiwa DXSB 801 12-40# swimbait rod with a 300 size lexa to throw surface irons a few times, and it casts well from a seated position. Of course, there's a problem with using that setup for that purpose because it is straight braid to a short piece of fluoro, which is good for swimbaits but isn't ideal for irons because you don't get mono stretch or glass rod action to help keep even pressure on a treble hook. Trade offs.

You probably shouldn't listen to me because I don't fish surface irons; but that's because I can't seem to make that setup work on a kayak for myself, so I carry swimbaits around instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
My opinion....Agree that the short "jig-sticks" are not optimal for kayak. I have come to love my Daiwa Proteus Inshore rod for throwing most anything. Swim-Jigs, Tady-C, Tady-TLC, even good with Salas 6x Jr, Etc...

Mine is a PRIN76MHFB

Get a Lexa or a Saltist for reel.

I fish what most people call "bargain" equipment for trolling and bottom fishing but for casting all-day, the better stuff radically out performs. Use conventional or large format baitcaster for casting heavier weight lures on kayak...no arguments! I use a 2x rod length leader (25-lb +/-) and an FG-knot to braid with no problems.

For heavy YOYO I do go to a heavier set-up (still 7-feet) but I could drop my Tady-4/0 off the Proteus Inshore as well. A crisp 7.6' rod with braid is wonderfully sensitive for rock-fishing. You are on a kayak and having a rod that works for arm-casting and loading well during fight means going a bit lighter than some "boaters" would have you believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
You're on a kayak so you're stealthy. Instead of using a longrod for distance try moving in closer.

Most rods I use on the kayak are 7-7'6. Tried landing fish on a 10fter... never again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
I like 8’ rods for jigs on kayak. 7’ for bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
The longest rod that will fit in the back of your pick-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
I have used 8´ rods in the past for surface irons and they will help considerably to extend casting range, but personally I don't have any rods longer than 7´ now. I find the shorter rods offering more power when fighting fish.
Thanks for the input fellas. I looked at a couple of rods in the 7-6" to 8' range and I am all but sold on a one particular rod (the Californian tri-helix 8'). I am still deciding if I want to use a reel I already have or buy another one. I will have to try a couple of my current reels on the rod before I make that decision.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe

Last edited by SoCalEDC; 06-30-2020 at 02:50 PM.
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote