View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #18
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
Thanks all for the feedback. BWE has been a great source of info including mistakes made. Looking through BWE I decided to go with a penn 500 reel and tiger ugly stik. ..picked them up at WM. Didn't want to break the bank as I have a list of other bills to take care of first. Been deployed 5 times in the last seven years missing the prime hot months for yt. Now I can finally put some time on the water. Stoked

You will be so happy the next time you hook up with a big fish. Your new gear can handle what lurks on the bottom. 65# braid is important for La Jolla too. It doesn't curl like mono, it lasts MUCH longer, and it will cut through kelp. Get some 40# fluorocarbon leader to round out your new setup.

I have a Penn Jigmaster on my 2nd pole because I've always had it and it always works. I think it's one of the first reels I've ever owned. In the meantime, other reels have come and gone. I think my oldest rod that's still in good shape is also an Ugly Stick. The one I have is too long for my kayak, but it's still in great shape after all these years.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 02-16-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote