View Single Post
Old 05-23-2022, 11:23 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
Depends on what you want. Easy access or short paddle. Waves are usually not a problem on the beach but it is a long drag across the sand and in some areas a large berm must be crossed than can be a pain.

Los Alamitos bay has a paddle board/Kayak launch but then you have to paddle out of the bay and back across to the islands. It is an easy paddle but can be intimidating when you are new to the sport. When I was fishing those islands or the break wall I would launch out of Los Alamitos bay.

I spend more time now at Cabrillo or Dana point but the links below contain a good discussion about launch locations in the area with some maps.

Link to discussion with Los Alamitos Bay Map:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=35123

Link to discussion with Cabrillo Beach Map:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=34753
Excellent reply Tak,

Unfortunately, I was unable to open the links?

Welcome to the forum AJ,

We all have different priorities which will determine the best location. Some considerations are:

1. Legality of the location, often early in the morning, many places are launchable. Later in the morning, When lifeguards come on duty some areas become prohibited. In my area, many of the pay parking locations are free parking if one arrives before the parking attendant.
2. Proximity to fishing grounds
3. Convenience of setup - if the car is parked far away and the beach walk is long, it is sometimes easier to paddle a little farther for easier setup and breakdown.
4. Launch risks ( big waves, Strong Currents, Boat Traffic, etc)
5. Access to FW washdown and avoidance of sand. After fishing, sand has a way of sneaking into the car and house. Often the boat ramps and docks are a better choice over the closer proximity beach launches.

Happy hunting for a launch spot, and good luck fishin.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote