Thread: LJ shores FYI
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Be careful what you wish for

Shortly after reading this thread, I got a call from the Leutenent in the SD Lifeguard Service who is responsible for the La Jolla beaches. The reason for the call was something else but after I mentioned that some in the kayak community are getting a little upset with the number of rental kayaks conjesting the launch area, the conversation shifted.

It turns out the the Lifeguards are not very happy with this condition either. Unfortunately, the soluton being discussed is to start charging for parking at bay and beach lots and put parking meters on the street. This is not the Lifeguard's doing. They just enforce the rules. No, this lame idea comes from the same folks who promoted the beach booze ban. Apparently the city bosses, faced with money shortages, are looking at paid parking as a revenue source.

It gets worse, there is even some discussion of closing the LJ Shores launch area or at least making it so cars can no longer drive on the sand. This would be done in the interest of "safety".

As for me, I can live with the tourists. They are even entertaining at times. Besides, they will all be gone in a month or so. Charging for parking at the beach, well that would make me very angry. I seldom go to Del Mar these days since they started charging.

Until next time

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote