View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #29
StinkyMatt

Just my tw cents worth:

Practice flipping your kayak with a bait tank/ or crate and one or more attached poles. The resistance that the tank/ crate creates makes a difference. Make sure that you wear your waders when you practice.

The first time I practiced was in my parents' pool, empty kayak, in shorts, etc. My Dad called me out and said that "There ain't no phoooking way I could do all that with all my gear, tank and waders in an ocean in 57 degrees" Trust me it is a LOT harder to do it all geared up . A LOT harder!

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Being new to the sport of Kayak fishing this is one of those lesson posts that I like to read and think what would have done. I have been around boats and fishing my entire life and the interesting this is I have not yet, and I say Yet, falling in. I know someday it's going to happen but I am going to be darn sure that I'm ready if it happens. The reason I have not yet launched from La Jolla yet is because I don't fee I have all the safetly gear I need, and I have not practiced getting in and out of the Kayak yet, I'm waiting for the water to warm a little, but I plan on working on that soon.

I'm glad the originator of this thread is O.K. and that he and his wife are safe, and I think we all have learned a lesson and at this point. We only have one life here on this big blue planet let's not make it any shorter than it already is.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote